zum Inhalt

Health Insurance Care

You are obliged to have a sufficient health insurance valid in Austria during your stay as exchange student. You have to take care of appropriate health insurance by yourself.

Please contact your authorized medical insurance agency at home about coverage abroad.

nationals of european countries

If you are a citizen of an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland or the United Kingdom and you are registered with public health insurance, you can use the EHIC - European Health Insurance Card in all countries of the European Union. With the EHIC card you will have access to all medically necessary public health services in Austria.

More information about additionally travel health insurance 

national of third countries

Students from third countries (non EU/EEA or Switzerland) need a health insurance which is valid in Austria. In principle a “travel health insurance” must be taken out to enter Austria with a visa (and for the whole duration of your stay). 
Please note that this insurance must be valid in Austria and provide sufficient cover for various health issues (insurance cover well over 30,000 Euro including guarantee to cover possible recovery and repatriation costs and costs) information

Further information

feel safe
expat insurance
care concept

For students with a residence permit (stay longer than 6 months): The Austrian Health Insurance Company – Österreichische Gesundheitskasse ÖGK -  offers a self insurance for students, which costs around 70 Euro per month:
self insurance for students

Austrian Student Union´s fee

compulsory for all students enrolled at Austrian Universities

  • approx. 22 Euro per semester
  • covers a liability insurance and
  • covers an accidence insurance
  • for damages and accidents in the University´s sites and on the way from home to the University - details under Insurance_Student union


update 29 May, 2024